who we are
The End Fuel Poverty Coalition is made up of poverty, environmental, health, trade union and consumer organisations.
5 Pledges to end the misery of cold homes
We believe everybody in this country has the right to a warm, dry home that they can afford to heat and power. Action to end fuel poverty will not only improve people’s lives but also help tackle climate change. We call upon the Government and the political parties to commit to the following pledges to meet this goal:
- 1. Carry out a national programme to improve the heating and insulation standards of our homes such that they reach the standards of new homes built today.
- 2. Commit to improving the homes of all low income and fuel poor households to the standard by 2016.
- 3. Oblige fuel companies to provide 'social tariffs' to low income and fuel poor consumers - tariffs that offer a better deal than tariffs offered to ‘better off’ consumers.
- 4. Improve the incomes of low income households and make sure all eligible households claim the benefits and tax credits to which they are entitled.
- 5. Compile a register of the energy efficiency standards of all homes in this country, as part of a detailed plan which shows how the Government will meet the pledges.